The program seeks to meet the guidelines and requirements established by:
- The Surgeon General, Department of the Army for Military Dental Residencies in accordance with Army Regulation 350-219.
- The Commission of Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association.
- The American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.
- The American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.
The program seeks to provide postgraduate training that will prepare the OMS graduate for:
- Comprehensive and competent practices in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery structured on total patient care; in accordance with the standards of care in order to optimize the dental health of the U.S. Army.
- Professional and administrative roles of leadership and professional development within the Army Dental Corps.
- Additional duties during times of war and natural disasters; as augments for anesthesia, and other critical need surgical teams.
- Initiating and conducting a clinical investigation and/or publication in a professional journals.
- Successful examination and certification by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
The program seeks to stimulate enthusiasm toward the acquisition of knowledge based principles that when applied through sound judgments result in proper therapy for any given clinical situation, and create life-long learning habits. Contributions to our specialty is stressed by publication of cases, techniques and research thus passing on to others what we have learned.