IVF Pre-testing (female)
Prior to the start of the IVF cycle, all testing (male and female) must be completed and be less than one year old. Failure to complete required testing will resort in cycle being postponed until such time that it is completed. We prefer that all testing be completed at WAMC through our clinic, but if you are unable to do the testing at our facility, and prefer to have a provider at another location perform the testing, you must have all results faxed to the IVF coordinator at (910) 907-7825 ASAP.
Saline Infusion Sonogram (Hysterosonogram)
This test is used to evaluate the uterine cavity (inside of the uterus) for defects (polyps, adhesions, fibroids, etc.) that may prevent an embryo from implanting. It is scheduled early in the menstrual cycle, therefore you should call radiology scheduling on the first day of the next cycle following order being placed into the system by our staff. If the first day of your cycle falls on a weekend or holiday, call the first business day following.
The procedure is simple and takes 10-15 minutes to complete
· A speculum is inserted into the vagina and the cervix is cleansed with an antiseptic solution.
· A special catheter approximately 1mm in diameter (the size of a single strand of spaghetti) is inserted and slides through the cervical canal.
· An ultrasound probe is placed in the vagina
· Sterile salt-water solution (saline) flows through the catheter and into the uterine cavity. This distends the endometrial cavity and allows the physician to see the entire cavity on the ultrasound monitor. You may experience mild cramping at this point.
· Several images of your uterus will be taken during the procedure; pictures of your ovaries may also be taken.
· Call the IVF coordinator at (910)907-0753 approximately 1 week after the test is completed to discuss your results.
After the procedure you may continue to experience mild cramping for a few hours. You may also experience light spotting or watery discharge for as long as 24 hours after the procedure. You should refrain from intercourse for approximately 48 hours.
Please contact the IVF coordinator at (910) 907-0753 to arrange for all blood tests at least 2 months prior to your IVF cycle start date.
Cycle Day 3 labs
FSH, LH and Estradiol level
AMH (Anti mullerian hormone)
TSH, Prolactin, RPR, Hepatitis B surface antigen, Hepatitis C antibody, HIV antibody, Rubella antibody, Varicella antibody and ABO/Rh can be drawn at any time, but are usually drawn along with cycle day 3 labs.
Pap Test and Gonorrhea/Chlamydia Culture
At the time of IVF, both of these tests will need to be less than one year old. Please contact your PCM to schedule an appointment to have these done well before you are scheduled for IVF.