AR 600-9 Army Body Composition Program (ABCP)
Nutrition Counseling Guidance
Womack Army Medical Center
Ft. Bragg, NC
Guidelines for the nutrition counseling process for the ABCP and elective “Army Move” Weight Loss Program at Womack Army Medical Center
Information for Soldiers and Commanders
Required Initial Nutrition Counseling Session: Soldiers must complete the initial nutrition counseling session within 30 days of enrollment in the ABCP IAW AR 600-9. The nutrition counseling memorandum will be provided at the end of this session. This session is offered on walk-in basis every Tuesday at 1000. Soldiers need to arrive no later than 0930 to ensure seating. This class consists of an overview of the new AR 600-9 program standards along with basic weight loss nutrition education. This session will last approximately 90 minutes. . During this visit, the soldier is given the option to enroll in the “Army Move” program. After an orientation to the program, the soldier will complete the required paperwork and be scheduled for the class series.
Program Description: "Army Move!" is a standardized series of five classes plus two individual sessions designed to provide soldiers with the tools they need to safely and successfully lose weight. This elective program will be offered every Wednesday at 1000. Topics include physical activity, coping with slips, goal setting, and behavior change. Each class will be offered on a rolling cycle so that soldiers can enroll at any time. Weight and waist circumference will be measured at each session. These sessions will last approximately 90 minutes.
Location of Sessions: All nutrition counseling and Army Move sessions are held in the Nutrition Care Division Classroom located on the basement floor of Womack Army Medical Center. Classroom entrance is directly across from the entrance to the Dining Facility.
The Initial Nutrition Counseling is the only mandatory session. Under AR 600-9, soldiers can opt for “Army Move”, individual dietitian visits, an approved commercial program, an approved online weight loss program, or a self-directed program.
- Upon a Soldier's completion of the Initial Nutrition Counseling, the dietitian will sign the Soldier's "Nutrition Counseling Memorandum" certifying completion IAW AR 600-9.
- All soldiers are welcome to attend the nutrition classes, even if not enrolled in the ABCP.
- No appointment is necessary for a Soldier to attend the Initial Nutrition Counseling.
- As part of the “Army Move” program, soldiers will be scheduled into the 5 session series during any week for a rolling enrollment. The dietitian will work with the Soldier to make achievable goals to support health and weight loss progress. Soldiers may schedule additional group and individual follow-ups in the Nutrition Clinic.
- Soldiers who have completed the entire “Army Move” program within the past 6 months should schedule an individual follow-up appointment with the dietitian instead of completing all sessions again.
- If you have any additional questions, you may send your questions via e-mail to the "Army Move" NCOIC or call the Nutrition Clinic at (910) 907-8703. Soldiers are strongly encouraged to seek regular follow-up with the dietitian at 30, 90, and 180 days after completing the program. Soldiers may call the Nutrition Clinic at (910) 907-3438 Option 2 to schedule a follow-up appointment.